BEARSDEN BARISTA CAFE MANAGER (part-time)
Bearsden Barista Cafe is a community cafe set up in 2016 by Bearsden Baptist Church to be more accessible to the community, especially those who may be socially isolated. It has grown quickly and is popular with parents, grandparents, childminders and children, and also the elderly community. The cafe provides a safe space for all in the community to enjoy a good cup of tea/coffee and home baking. It is a not for profit cafe and any profits are donated to charity. The building was previously owned by the council and was used as a community centre with a youth club, elderly club and playgroup in the 1960s.
The cafe seeks to provide a neutral space for people to explore faith if they wish and will have opportunity to see what else is going on in and around the church. It is also developing community activities, eg, Dementia cafe (De-cafe Ceartas), SilverSurfers Cafe, breastfeeding support, counselling, fitness classes, etc. as well as activities for families e.g. Crafternoon, Come Create.
Date of Commencing Work: 4th December 2019 (or as soon as possible)
Hours of Work: 12 hours/week – to be reviewed in June 2020
Annual Leave: 25 days plus statutory public holidays (pro-rata)
Sick Leave: Statutory sick pay
As this position counts as Regulated Work for purposes of the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007, it is essential to this position that you are and remain a member of the PVG Scheme for children and vulnerable adults and a Scheme record disclosure will be requested in advance of you undertaking any work.
- Management of Cafe on a day to day basis, to include stock control, food hygiene, health and safety, currently Wednesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
- Recruitment, supervision and development of volunteers which may include management and training
- Advertising of Cafe using Social Media, local press etc
- Liaison with Church, in particular the Children and Families Worker, Pastor and Church Administrator
- Help to develop the cafe as a welcoming place for all ages in the community to meet, to explore other activities in the church and answer questions about faith
- Meet with church staff team monthly
- Meet with member of Barista core team weekly
|Experience of managing a busy service environment||Experience of managing a cafe|
|Experience of managing people and liaising with colleagues||Experience of managing volunteers|
|Experience of advertising/marketing||Use of social media to market the cafe|
|The post-holder will work in a Christian environment, therefore it will be necessary to have respect and sympathy with the Christian faith and its values.||Involvement with a faith-based organisation|
|Good time-management and organisational skills||Evidence of training in time management and organisational skills|
|Available to work daytimes, Wednesday and Thursday||Flexibility to work occasional evening or weekend shifts|
There is no application form. Applications should take the form of:
- A letter clearly and specifically outlining how the applicants skills and experience relate to the requirements of the job description and person specification
- A CV, with two referees who have recent knowledge of the candidate, one of whom should be his/her current manager (or most recent if not currently employed)
References will not be taken up prior to interview.
Closing Date: 7/11/19 at 5 pm. Email your application to Jill Morrison at jill@bearsdenbaptistchurch,com or post to Bearsden Baptist Church, 14 Roman Road, Bearsden G61 2SL
Date of Interview: 15/11/19 (morning) or 18/11/19 (evening)
Further information about this post and informal enquiries can made to Jill Morrison by phone: 07718285378 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org